Saturday 5 August 2023

Compartment lock - Part II - Serrature Milano Edal - chiave

 This is a follow up on the following blogpost:

https://erwinisomilano.blogspot.com/2023/07/keylock-compartment.html

By surprise I found the original lock in a box with some screws and other bits and pieces. Unfortunately it came without a key. Nevertheless I was happy with this item. Unfortunately there was no brand stamp or any number on it. Still I suspect it's a EDAL lock






I managed to find this page: 

https://www.swisstonysscooterspares.com/original-new-old-stock-lambretta-keys-number-edal/a/3786/

So I reached out to them but never got any response (update 15-8-2023: by now they have reached out to me and kindly offered their support)

Then I got ahold of this page and contact nr:

https://scootersoriginali.com/pages/replacement-lambretta-keys

And he replied he could not do much without a number and advised to go to the local locksmith. 

At first I was not interested to go to the local locksmith I was already anticipating the outcome. But I made an attempt and got the expected answer.

So went the for the best alternative and found this option:

It was the closest I could find. The diameter was a little to small: 18 mm instead of the wanted 21.5 mm. So I found this 20 mm nylon socket (used foor doorhandles) and made that fit by cutting the outersleeve. Price for the lock and the nylon socket about € 15,-


And here it is mounted. I had to bend the arm a little so it would fit tight. Next I had put a little ductape on it so it would not be metal on metal scraping.


It works okay and looks pretty good as well:


In the end I did send the original lock to a professional locksmith. Hoping he can do magic and make a matching key. Very curious regarding the outcome. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dutch Iso brochure 1961

 Yesterday on the Dutch Marketplace someone offered a Dutch Iso brochure for sale. I got outbid and it was sold for € 15,- It's a brochu...