Saturday 26 August 2023

portalampada - lightbulbholder - tail light

In the parts bag I also found the rear light lampholders. And these were really a surprise to me. They were fitted on a rubber strip with ground wires connected to it. How cool is that. Unfortunately the rubber material had become fragile and brittle. In fact, one piece had both ends broken off already and the other one was slight teared:


And they are fitted on the rear panel. Who has designed this?


For photo purposes I had one attached. 


I searched hard to find NOS replacements but these are simply not available anywhere. Not even used photo examples I was able to find.

The closest useable new example would be this item:


It would mean I simply would have to drill one hole and attach it. I saw other similar light solutions whereby the same lightbulb holders were directly attached to the lightplate (model: Catalux Aprilia BS 2515/6 G2):


The following lightholder is a very good example as well. Again these are mounted directly on the frame and are using also unshielded ground wires


As I'm a sucker for originality I simply had to make an attempt to repair the broken rubber. So I came up with this solution. I cut off a small stroke of this rubber scraper 


And made two pieces to be fitted by simply glueing them together. Cutted using a stanley knive and sanding by using a file.


It was more easy as anticipated. Costs made for the scraper and glue was about € 5,-


I now need to source a very small round clamp so the wire can be fitted correctly to the plate (ground). But also I need to find a correct copper screw. One of them was forced by a slightly larger screw (sigh!). 

Also I found out one lightbulb was indeed to large (42 mm) - wasn't aware there were different length sizes for these. Correct size would be about 38 mm. According to the manual it should be a 6V 5W (this one was 15W). And the other one should be 6V 3W.

By now I also found out - with help of the manual, the battery is only there to provide parking light. The normal lighting and claxon electricity is provided directly by the dynamo when the engine runs.

The anti climax is when I tried to fit the fixed solution. Even though the glued rubber was flexible it was still to strong, meaning not able to stretch, so the glued parts simply teared off when I tried to slide it over the iron tips :-(

Meanwhile I had bought this other tail light solution. It appears this light was used on a MV Augusta. And as can be seen there has been an original gaskets made for this model. I'm happy to use that. Althought the lense was fairly broken and glued I also could reuse the white lens as that was missing on mine. I also had to glue one part that was broken. But I rather put this together as it's a fragile item that easily can be damaged due to no protection. And by now I do have a new one on stock in any case.

Another good thing is that I can reuse the lampholders on the used spare item if I want to recreate a complete new set using a new stretchable rubber. 



And here is how it looks now:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dutch Iso brochure 1961

 Yesterday on the Dutch Marketplace someone offered a Dutch Iso brochure for sale. I got outbid and it was sold for € 15,- It's a brochu...